This is a financial promotion for The First Sentier Asia Pacific ex-Japan Strategy. This information is for professional clients only in the UK and EEA and elsewhere where lawful. Investing involves certain risks including:
- The value of investments and any income from them may go down as well as up and are not guaranteed. Investors may get back significantly less than the original amount invested.
- Currency risk: the Fund invests in assets which are denominated in other currencies; changes in exchange rates will affect the value of the Fund and could create losses. Currency control decisions made by governments could affect the value of the Fund's investments and could cause the Fund to defer or suspend redemptions of its shares.
- Single country / specific region risk: investing in a single country or specific region may be riskier than investing in a number of different countries or regions. Investing in a larger number of countries or regions helps spread risk.
- Charges to capital risk: The fees and expenses may be charged against the capital property. Deducting expenses from capital reduces the potential for capital growth.
- Emerging market risk: Emerging markets tend to be more sensitive to economic and political conditions than developed markets. Other factors include greater liquidity risk, restrictions on investment or transfer of assets, failed/delayed settlement and difficulties valuing securities. .
- Smaller companies risk: Investments in smaller companies may be riskier and more difficult to buy and sell than investments in larger companies.
For details of the firms issuing this information and any funds referred to, please see Terms and Conditions and Important Information.
For a full description of the terms of investment and the risks please see the Prospectus and Key Investor Information Document for each Fund.
If you are in any doubt as to the suitability of our funds for your investment needs, please seek investment advice.
Specialists in some of the world's fastest-growing markets
Driven by fundamental company research, FSSA Investment Managers delve deep into the Asia Pacific region and Global Emerging Markets to invest in high quality companies that can outperform over the long term. We are bottom-up investors and construct high-conviction portfolios that offer our clients exposure to some of the world’s fastest-growing markets.
We are long-term, responsible investors and have fully integrated environmental, social and governance factors into the investment process. To us, sustainability is not just a label, but a set of values by which we operate. We consider it to be prudent risk management and a fundamental obligation to our clients.
FSSA Investment Managers is an autonomous team within the First Sentier Investors group, with dedicated investment professionals in Hong Kong, Singapore and Edinburgh.
FSSA’s Asia Pacific portfolios are built company by company and from the bottom up, with little regard for index positioning. We are focused on growth in an absolute return sense and construct portfolios of high quality companies with effective management teams, long-term, sustainable growth drivers and strong financials. With low penetration rates for goods and services, and barriers to entry which protect profits and cash flow, the leading companies in the region have a good track record of compounding earnings and creating long-term value for stakeholders.
The key investment themes for our Asia Pacific strategies
Dominant consumer franchises
We believe dominant consumer franchises and brands should benefit from rising incomes and the premiumisation trend, and can offer good growth potential over the long term.
High quality financials
Banks and high quality financials should benefit from similar drivers as consumer businesses: demographics, rising incomes and urbanisation.
Rising healthcare spending
Many countries are under-invested in healthcare compared to the global average. As these economies become richer, we expect healthcare and health-related spending to rise.
A more connected and automated world
As the world embraces a digital future, Asian technology firms should benefit from strong end demand and a growing market. At the same time, lower-cost robots allows manufacturers to automate their processes.
FSSA Investment Managers has invested in DBS Bank since 2010, engaging regularly with DBS management during that time. This approach allows us to build trusted, long-term relationships with the companies we allocate our clients' capital to.
DBS asked FSSA Investment Managers to review and suggest improvements to their Sustainability Report. In our feedback, we reinforced the importance of good quality reporting and improvements including a report that articulated the Bank's sustainability strategy; explanation of the Bank's initiatives and how they align with the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals; and improved disclosures on financing projects which may, on the surface, seem to fall short of DBS' commitment to the Sustainable Development Goals.
We believe that this would add to the DBS' credibility on sustainability issues; and made clear that any disclosures they made would be used for internal research purposes, to help us assess the quality of the DBS franchise and the risks associated with various environmental, social and governance challenges.
Disclaimer: Reference to specific securities (if any) is included for the purpose of illustration only and should not be construed as a recommendation to buy or sell the same. All securities mentioned herein may or may not form part of the holdings of First Sentier Investors’ portfolios at a certain point in time, and the holdings may change over time.
The FSSA investment team consists of 22 investment professionals based in Hong Kong, Singapore and Edinburgh.
We have a distinct culture and team structure, which has contributed to the stability of the team. Around half of our analysts joined as graduates; and the majority of our portfolio managers have been with us for most of their careers.
Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and speak 15 local languages and dialects, which contributes to the quality of research and analysis when meeting with companies. All portfolio managers are, first and foremost, also analysts; and the entire team contribute stock ideas to each of our client portfolios.
Ready to invest?
Contact a member of our Sales Team